I didn't take a vacation this year, but I have a jar full of coins from my travels around the world. This particular coin is an Australian dollar that I saved from a vacation 14 years ago. I've been itching to get back to Australia, so I figured a little talisman around my neck may bring the funds required
You will need:
1 7.5 gram tube of 11/0 red Deilca / cylinder beads
1 strand of size 14/0 Czech seed beads (approx. 100 per strand)
60 8mm turquoise blue glass discs
1 spool size d red Nymo thread
1 size 10 beading needle
toggle clasp (I had silver in stock, but I think a vintage brass one would have been a bit more interesting.)
7 strand .015 inch beading wire
2 #1 crimp beads
1. Cut a 40" piece of Nymo and thread your needle. With your needle pick up enough beads to fit around your coin. Slide the beads 2/3 of the way down the thread and form a circle by tying a square knot. Pull firmly. (See picture on left).
2. Begin working in rounds using even-count peyote stitch and the red Delicas. For my coin I worked 5 rounds in red and then switched to two rounds using the smaller blue beads. For the next round you will decrease every other stitch, so add a bead as usual and on the next skip adding a bead pulling firmly. Continue in this fashion until you finish the round. (See pictures in the middle and on the right.)
3. Thread your needle through the beads working your way to the back. Add the coin. Repeat the rounds for the blue beads. After the decrease round, work one more round in the normal fashion. Weave the thread back into the beads and snip off access.
4. With the tail, begin weaving in even-count flat peyote with the red beads. Work back and forth for 3/4 of an inch. Attach the flat peyote strip to top round of red beads on the front to form a loop. Weave the thread through several rounds of red beads and snip off.
5. Using the wire cutters, cut a 24" inch of beading wire. Thread on a crimp bead and one side of the toggle clasp. Thread the wire back through the crimp bead leaving a 1" tail and pull firmly. Use the crimping pliers to crimp the bead in place. Trim back the tail of the wire to 1/4".
6. Pick up 4 red Delica beads and then a disc bead. Continue in this fashion for 22" ending with 4 red Delica beads. Add your coin pendant and slide down to the center. Add a crimp bead and then the other half of the toggle clasp. Thread the wire back through the crimp bead leaving a 1" tail and pull firmly. Use the crimping pliers to crimp the bead into place. Trim back the tail to just above the disc bead.
I think this would be equally cool with shiny new quarters using those quarters featuring the states of the last family vacation or as a gift for a college student to remind them of home.