This little birdhouse ornament is a tribute to my feathered friends who bring delight to the cold and bleak winter landscape with their streaks of color and aerobatics.
You will need:
3" Smoothfoam cube
6 sheets of The Robin's Nest scrapbooking paper - Christmas Collection (North Pole) and Classic Glitter Swirl Collection
1 package of Jolly Dew Drop Mix
Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue Pen
Aleene's Decoupage Glue Matte
1" circle punch
12" of 3/8" gold ribbon
6" of 1/4" double-faced satin ribbon
needle nose pliers
12" piece of craft wire
sharp thick sewing needle, awl or skewer
1. Trace around the cube on the back of 4 sheets of scrapbook paper. Cut out the 3" x 3" squares and glue the papers onto the cube using the decoupage glue and sponge brush.
2. Punch 72 circles with the circle punch from the scraps and remaining red / green papers. Punch a circle from one in dark blue.
3. Decoupage the circles in place by allowing them to overlap each other. Start at the bottom and work toward the roof's peak. At the peak, fold the papers to follow the roof line. HINT: Use a few straight pins to hold the folded papers in place while they dry. Decoupage the blue circle onto the front of the bird's house.
4. Trim paper circles along the front and back of the house, but allow to hang over the edge like eaves at the roof's bottom edge.
5. Glue gold dew drops around the edge of the blue circle. Glue red and silver dew drop around the edge of the of the back of the house and the roof's edge of the front. Use white diamond shapes to finish outlining the front of the house. Allow to dry.
6. Wrap the first 8" of the wire around a large knitting needle, crochet hook or wooden spoon handle to obtain a double loop. Twist the remainder from the warp around the shaft of wire loop using the needle nose pliers. Punch a hole at the center of the roof ridge. Push the wire loop into the cube until the loop is flush with the roof ridge.
7. Tie a bow around the base of the loop using the gold ribbon. Use the satin ribbon to hang the ornament from the metal loop.