Topiarys are living sculptures. They bring delight with their whimsy. As a child I imagined they were the homes for elves and fairies. Here is a delightful popom topiary I designed for that childlike spirit who still believes in magic.
- 3/8" Clover pompom maker
- 5/8" Clover pompom maker
- 2 1/2" Clover pompom maker
- Bamboo skewer
- 2" x 1 5/8" miniature wood flower pot
- 6" piece of 1/4" ribbon
- Small bottle of dark green acrylic paint
- Small bottle of brown acrylic paint
- Skein of light green yarn
- Skein of emerald green yarn
- Paper punch in the shape of a butterfly
- Sheet of gold paper
- Bottle of Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue
- 1"x 1" x 1" piece of Styrofoam
- Piece of dark green craft felt
- Piece of white tailors chalk
- Paint flower pot with green paint. Allow to dry. Paint another coat. Allow to dry.
- Paint skewer with brown paint. Allow to dry. Paint another coat. Allow to dry.
- Make 1 small, medium and large pompom. Use both green yarns held together. Trim any access or long bits.
- Turn the flower pot upside down onto the felt. Trace the circle with a piece of tailor's chalk onto the felt.
- Cut out the circle.
- Insert the foam into the flowerpot pushing it down firmly so it is secure.
- Glue the felt circle onto the top of the styrofoam.
- Glue the ribbon along the brim of the flower pot. Trim off access.
- Make a gold paper butterfly using your butterfly punch.
- Glue the butterfly onto the ribbon at the point where the ends meet, so that the ends of the ribbon are no longer visible.
- Stick the skewer into the center of the flowerpot through the felt and styrofoam. Remove. Squeeze some glue into the hole, carefully not spilling any onto the felt. Push the skewer back into the hole.
- Thread the pompoms onto the skewer, beginning with the large, then the medium and finally the small pompom. Spread them evenly across the pompom with the smallest at that top.
- Once you like the positioning of the pompoms, add a little glue to secure them to the skewer.
- Allow to dry before moving.
- This project is perfect for using with yarn leftover from other projects. Make them white for a winter scene or for use at a wedding table.