Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday of the year – all that pink, red and sparkly with liberal doses of chocolate. I mean what’s not to love about the holiday of love? My desk is a giant mess, so to keep certain papers in order (and also to honor the holiday), I made a desk paperweight. Smoothfoam is lightweight, but all the straight pins used to tack in the sequins gives the cube some heft. You can decorate the sides any way you want – try adding photos inside the hearts and flowers.
You will need:
3″ Smoothfoam cube
Red acrylic paint
100+ silver sequins
75+ fuchsia/pink sequins
1 tube red seed beads (size 11/0; silver-lined)
1 tube pink seed beads (size 11/0 )
Washi tapes – red and pink patterns
Valentine-themed scrapbook paper
Card stock – pink, yellow, fuchsia, hot pink
4 pink head pins
2 packs silk steel pins
Scalloped circle punch
Felt heart stickers
Red craft felt
Sponge brush, scissors, pencil, ruler
1. Paint the cube with two coats of red. Allow to dry in between coats.
2. Cut a 3″ square from the Valentine-themed paper. Fold it in half, draw half of a heart shape and cut it out.
3. Glue the paper heart to the top of the cube, let dry, then glue a felt heart to the center. With a pin, pick up a red bead and then a pink sequin (with the cup side facing up) and push it into place along the edge of the heart. With a pin, a pale pink bead and a silver sequin, edge the square with sequins.
4. Cut four 3″ pieces of washi tape. Pin a row of silver sequins with red bead on the edge of one side of the cube. Lay down one strip of wash tape. Pin 2 rows of silver sequins with red beads, lay down another strip of washi tape. Continue in the same pattern until the side is covered. Add more silver sequins/red beads to the top and bottom edges of the cube face.
5. On the next side of the cube, glue another paper heart to the center. Pin an outline of silver sequins with cup side facing up. Stick a felt heart to the center.
8. Push pink ball head pins into each corner of the bottom of the cube for feet.